I'm thinking about sugar right now. I haven't had a lick of it in 5 days. This includes food that has added sugars or ingredients that are sugars like "high fructose corn syrup". I've had natural sugar in the fruits I'm eating but that's it. Life seems a little boring without the sugar, you know. I miss that high you get of eating yummy, tasting food. Oh I love food, especially junk food. I will allow myself some at the end of the month. After all, I bought Girl Scout Cookies.
Why am I not eating sugar right now...a few reasons. One, I have a sinus infection and have not been feeling well (that's why I haven't been blogging for a couple weeks). The infection, I believe has been making me dizzy/lightheaded as I had some swelling in my ear. Anyway, I've read that bacteria feed off of sugar. Even though I'm on an antibiotic, I want to get over this thing faster. It's not fun being all lightheaded and feel like you are going to fall over. I've been getting alot of sinus infections lately, so I know that this is something I really need to control.
Second, it's not good on your cholesterol numbers. When you get a cholesterol check, they check 4 numbers. It affects what's called your triglycerides. Anything white (bread, potatoes, rice, sugar) causes to have a high number. It's a kind of fat in your blood that your body uses for energy. You need some but too much is not good for you. I think about it this way... Runners eat pasta usually on a day or day before they run. It gives them energy. They are going to burn it up. If someone who eats pasta but doesn't burn up those carbs (simple carbs), that type of simple carb (sugar basically) turns to fat if it's not burned by exercising. I've had high triglycerides off and on for a while. It is highly affected by your diet and exercise. So I want to take as much precaution as I can. I'm hoping that when I get my cholesterol checked again, I'll be better then what I was.
Third, sugar can affect your moods. I've noticed that when I have too much, I get moody...more so then I usually am :) I do take other supplements for moods...Magnesium, Folic Acid and Vit. D I do swear by. It takes a week or so to kick in but I notice a big difference. Oh and I used to go to the tanning bed, especially this time of year. I felt like I was outside in the sun! I don't go anymore...too much money.
I know there are other health benefits to not eating sugar or that much but those are the basic reasons why. I'm not going to completely shut off sugar from my life but I do think I can control it. It is about will power...but isn't having a healthier life style all about that. It sucks some days! I've cut out some other foods out of my diet and boy do I whine and cry when I know I can't have it. I hate it! But I know how it makes me feel when I do stay away from it, so that keeps me going.
The diet book, Eat Right For Your Type talks about how different blood types should stay away from certain foods. As an "O" blood type, I should stay away from carbs. Hmm...why is it that we crave our poison? Because I'm craving a big chocolate chip cookie right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment