Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Fa ra ra ra"...and other Christmas Faves



Today's Girl Talk Hop asked about some Christmas favorites. I just couldn't pick one for some of the categories.

Favorite Christmas Movies:

Oh man I love A Christmas Story. I think you either love this movie or you hate it...atleast that's what I've come across. The past few years or maybe longer there is a tv marathon of it on a cable network and well I'll watch it all day long. Seeing Ralphie in his pink bunny suit just cracks me up! Oh and the Chinese Christmas dinner and when the Chinese sing..."fa ra ra ra" instead of "Fa la la". Love it. I also love Miracle on 34th Street, and all the classic cartoons...Grinch, Charlie Brown, Rudolph...you get the idea. And I never get tired of watching them.

Favorite Christmas Songs:

Oh I love Christmas songs... I get annoyed with Deck the Halls and Jingle Bells. Give me song like Silent Night, Angels We Have Heard on High, O Holy Night, Mary Did You Know, Do You Hear What I Hear. All these songs praise the birth of Christ. This is what Christmas is all about. I get chills everytime I listen to them. I do like fun ones like Rockin Around the Christmas Tree.

Favorite Ornaments:

They have to be the ones that are homemade from my mom or someone when we were growing up. My mom would give me and my sisters an ornament every year. She still does every year or so. I have two shoe boxes full of ornaments from my mom, or aunt or my mom's best friend growing up...oh yeah, that's a memory I have. When I hear people say that they don't have any ornaments to put on their own tree (say when they move out on their own), I find it odd as we always got them as kids.

Favorite Tradition/Memory:

My mom making a breakfast that consists of sausage, eggs and toast (I only remember doing this in the past 10 years.)...but before that eat christmas cookies with some milk after opening gifts. Actually the cookie thing is more of a memory doing that with my sisters. We'd get up about 5am and wake up mom and dad. A tradition would be to have Christmas eve dinner at my Aunt's house. We would have ham and turkey and all the fixins'. We haven't done that in about 10 years, maybe a bit less. We stopped about a year or two after my grandma passed away. We grandkids were growing up and starting our own families. But we did this ever since before I was born...I've seen the pics to prove it. Oh, how I miss those days.

Have a wonderful Christmas Holiday!

2 comments:

  1. I must be in the "hate it" category for A Christmas Story. I just can't sit and watch it. We have so many Christmas movies on DVD that we watch them year-round. Rudolf, A Year without a Santa Clause, Grinch.

    Sounds like some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing out loud about the scenes you wrote from A Christmas Story! Loooove it! Oh man... the pink bunny suit haha. That poor kid!

    ReplyDelete