So a coworker of mine gave me some very ripe bananas the other day. I figured I would make some banana bread. I needed a recipe so I went to FoodNetwork.com and found and Emeril L. recipe. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a professional chef's recipe and I didn't. It was so good. Here is the original recipe but I will add what I did to make it healthier.
1/2 cup shortning
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup of sweetened applesauce)
2 eggs I used only 1 egg and then the 1/2 cup applesauce would add as a binding ingred. too.)
3/4 cup of mashed ripe bananas
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour ( I used 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
Next time I'm going to try for all whole wheat flour. In breads and in cakes I would think you couldn't tell, but I made chocolate chip cookies once with all whole wheat flour and they were not as good. I'm also going to try no eggs and just apple sauce and maybe no sugar. We'll see. This is the year I'm going to make recipes and tweak them a bit more to make them healthier. I always cook that way but using lowfat or no fat cheeses and the leanest meats. Now I'm going to bake that way.
Enjoy! I did.
Sounds good! I saw on a cooking show that if you want to add whole wheat flour for cookies and cakes, you should only add about 1/2 of what it originally calls for,t hen add the other 1/2 white flour - otherwise it makes a "tough" cookie. I've tried it once and it turned out okay, but I'm no expert in using whole wheat flour - maybe google it?
ReplyDeleteI've heard of people using whole wheat pastry flour-I'm wondering if maybe that would work if you all whole wheat. You'll have to research, Kimmie!
ReplyDeleteI made nanner muffins yesterday-trying not to waste.☺