Stress and your body does not mix well together. I'm no doctor but I think it's common sense (and well I know it's true from hearing it on doctor talk shows-which I am addicted too.)
I know my own body and I know that I am stressed which also can constitute a bit of depression. It's good to know your own body. I have seasonal depression so this time of year is bad for me. I need sun and well starting next week, I'm hitting the tanning bed. That is proven to help. I've done it before and it definately did. I will only go for 5 minutes at a time as I don't want to fry my pale skin.
You have to know you to get better and you can only get better when you are done making excuses. I've done the excuses. That's how I gained weight over the years and then also 15 from the 50 I lost last year. I ate all wrong and stopped exercising, point blank! I ate because I was stressed and didn't care to exercise because I was self medicating with food. We all do it and when I started on my health kick 2 years ago, I realized I was an emotional eater. Many are. How could I let myself just get back into my old self routine. Misserable, edgy, depressed, stressed. I realy just stopped taking care of myself and let other things take priority. Bad idea!
Exercise and eating healthy are the only things without medication that help me handle my mental being. Too much sugar or fat is not good for the mind. Did you know that sugar can cause headaches and if you already have one and you eat sugar, the headache can feed on it. I learned that from my boyfriend's mom. She isn't a nutritionist but has been health conscious for over 20 years so I think she knows a thing or two. She eats pretty much all organic, she juices and doesn't eat sugars except like once a year.
What my body has been telling me for several months...stomach upset, headaches, back aches, neck aches, sinus pain, crappy mood, anxiety and chest pressure. I know you hear all this and think, Kim get to a doctor and get on medication. Like I said earlier, I know my body.( don't worry, I get to the doctor for check ups and stuff) Well, I don't like many medications. Medications can mess with your hormonal levels and well, I think that is part of the problem I'm having with one medication I'm one. I'm taking it so I don't have to have any types of surguries. Well, right now, I'll take the surgury over feeling mentally crappy. I'm not a naturalist or anything but if something can be controlled without medication then I'm going to do it. A year and half ago when I was on my wellness kick, I never felt better. Gee I wonder why? Gym 4-5 days a week and eating all the right food.
After kicking myself in the butt 2 weeks ago, I'm starting to feel better. I exercised that past two days and I know that has helped too. I also take some vitamins. It weird, if I forget to take them for a day or two, I notice a difference right away. It took about 2 weeks for my body to notice effects. My doctor recommended magnesium for moods. I also take folic acid, vitamin d and flax seed or fish oil fot the omega 3. All are great for the mood and for the heart. I've been taking these for a while now, thinking it would help but you need to do more than just take vitamins.
So my thoughts for a happier, less stressed life..exercise and eating right. I will keep you posted on my progress. You are probably wondering why I feel stressed. Well many things, one to be that I am somewhat of a type A personality and bring stress onto myself. I'm also a very emotional person and when things get just a little hectic, I stress. I'm working on that too. Lots of praying tp do!
Okay, off to the gym!
Oh yeah-when stress reared it's ugly head in my life about six years ago-hello panic disorder-not fun!!! But all is good now.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for taking charge of your health.
You look great-by the way!☺
Hey... great post. And all of it so true! Doctors aren't trained in nutrition so they prescribe medicine. I just started a book that I think is going to teach me a lot... The Seven Pillars of Health by Don Colbert. He's a doctor who knows nutrition. Good stuff.
ReplyDeleteWe've decided to start eating even better once again in this house. Cooking from scratch as much as possible. Cutting out as much processed food as possible. Eating more fruits and veggies. I'll be posting recipes I find along the way. And just maybe we can all encourage each other. :)
hey what can i say other than amen.....dont ya just feel better when you are aware of what your putting in your body and excersise.....sometimes i have to make myself but other than that....i am addicted to the gym now....and finding new and inventive things to do there is also a big help....my friend and i started doing lunges the other night....i can barely move....but yet it feels wonderful....cant explain it other than its good for me too. sooooo good luck honey and i will talk to you tonight. (reminding myself....little bits for supper so i can reallly enjoy what i really want.....homemade ice cream. yum yum
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouraging words. You know whats funny, onmy way to the gym on word fm this morning (105.1), a christian station, they were talking about Stress and how it affects your body. Boy, if that wasn't God speaking to me right then and there, I don't know what it was!
ReplyDeleteOh man! You should have called me. I would have gymed with you. I should have gone.
ReplyDeleteOh,you are so right! I think I have the weather blues right now too, and exercise definitely helps with that, but some days I feel too blue to exercise, so that makes me eat, downward spiral for sure!!!! I'm a type A also, and honestly, I think I can invent things to stress over - like legos on the floor or cobwebs in the corners - drives me crazy? Who really cares, right? Thanks for the post-I'm going to try to work out more too. Once you hit 40, the metabolism slows way down - If I ate like this 5 years ago, I would be at my goal weight, now, it seems I can barely lose a pound!
ReplyDelete