Thursday, September 9, 2010

Slogging...

Yep you heard it right...slogging. You know when you have a blog and don't post anything on it for like a month or more and then when you do, you appologize for not posting sooner and promise not to be so slack in your blogging. And then you loose followers becuase you slog. You get the idea.

I've done it. Oh back early this summer and almost did again. And I'm not appologizing.

The term was coined by my friend Laura over at Life Happens. (haha see I'm just being lazy now...not making her name a link to her blog. I do that sometimes when I just want to get a post up and don't take time to make it all fancy.) I think it's a pretty clever word...slogging.

Sometimes I just don't feel like coming home to type something up on the computer. Oh I have lots to blog about. It's all in my head. I don't want my brain to work that hard because I've already sat in front of a computer for 8-9 hours that day working my brain until it's mush. Yeah, yeah I know I've posted a few days in a row but some of those are just fun easy ones, usually. Maybe I should right it down and type it later. But you see that takes extra time. Do it in one full swoop. I hate doing double work. I deal with that in my job. I don't want it in my home life if I can help it.

I seriously don't know how some people blog every day of their life or close to everyday. Maybe because they stay at home more or just enjoy it. It's their escape. Maybe they don't work outside the home and have to take into account for traveling to work. And then bloggers read a ton of other blogs. Yeah I think it's cool to do that. I wish I had more time too. There are so many awesome ones out there. When I first started blogging, I got so addicted I'd be up all night reading other peoples' blogs. I realized I couldn't do that very long especially on a work night. I've slogged in that area too.

I am gone for 10 hours out of the day for work (that includes travel time). Tack on another 1-1.5 hours to take a shower, get ready and pack a lunch and/or breakfast in the morning. ( I don't always like eating early). Sleep for 7-8 hours. Add in another about 1 hour to get yourself something to eat for dinner and eat it in the evening. Add in another 1.5-2 hours to get ready, drive and go to the gym for an hour, come home and shower cause you're all stinky and sweaty. Use another hour to do stuff around the house like dishes, clean up the kitchen from making dinner or maybe run erronds or even go to a church or social function. If I work overtime which I do usually on the days that I don't head to the gym but sometimes I do both I'll add in another hour or two.

That leaves about 2-3 hours in the evening to just relax. You see why I'm not always blogging. It's not an excuse. It's my life. When I get a free moment most days I want to sit and watch the news or something else on TV for an hour or so. Maybe read. I tend to read while the commercials are on. I put it on mute. I got that idea from my friend Marianne. Sometimes I'll pick up a craft while watching TV. Multitask! I'll take time to check my email, Facebook and read my sisters' and friend's blogs at the end of the day. Sometimes I might miss a day or two. Usually because I just don't feel like it.

Whew!...Then it's off to bed to start the cycle all over again...

PS...
Today, I made a little time to blog because I didn't want to be a bad slogger. :0) (and it took me 50 minutes to complete it. Not with the typing but with getting all the thoughts right so it made sense. It's 8pm and I will be heading to bed in about 90 minutes. It's an early day tomorrow. I'm doing 8 hours of overtime in 2 days. You can thank Dave Ramsey for that.)

5 comments:

  1. haha. I love my word! :) I've been blogging for over five years... almost daily. I can't stop. I have so much in my head that I just need to get it out sometimes. It's my escape. And I'm not one of those bloggers that reads a gazillion other blogs because I just don't have the time. I read friends because it helps me get to know them more. And I have met a few random other bloggers in blog land that I love and have become friends with. But I have a hard time finding new blogs to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't stop following a blog because they take a break or become a slogger. The ones that post multiple times a day are the ones I tend to unfollow because I just don't have time to read their 4th post for that day. :) Except Laura, of course, because she is my real-life friend.

    I remember those days of working full time and coming home to more work. Add a couple kids into the mix and you have absolutely NO TIME for blogging, let alone reading or relaxing in front of the TV for 10 minutes. Boy I don't miss those days (of working full time outside the home).

    All that to say, you just embrace your slogginess (just made that up). You could start a Sloggers Anonymous group, but then you wouldn't have time to attend the meetings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to work full time-I'd be a slogger for sure!

    I went to bed at 8:30 Monday night-you wore me out, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! I'm laughing so hard right now, Kim! Not me but you...haha...I like the idea of Sloggers Anonymous but yeah probably wouldn't have the time. You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Sis! Thanks for all the hard work cleaning!

    ReplyDelete