Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy 13th Birthday!

Today is my beautiful neice Jessica's birthday. I'm going up home to celebrate later today. Many people over the years thought we looked alike.

Here we are at her birthday party. She is either 2 or 3 here. I can't remember.

This was last year at Christmas time. She was trying out her new camera.

My sister asked me to write a letter to her that she would open when she is a senior in high school. It's for a senior project she is doing. I wrote in the letter about how she used to call her blanky "bubby" and when her mom would wash and dry it, she would stand at the dryer, crying and calling out for "bubby". Oh gosh it was so darn cute. At that time, I was in my first year of college and I wrote a descriptive essay on it in my English class. Here it is...

Bubby

With blinding tears cascading down her innocent baby face, she stares motionless, eyes fixed on the ferocious monster which emits a sound as brutal as a bear snarling at an intruder. Grasping the monster with fierce yet delicate hands, she bellows out to her lost friend. Lips quivering and eyes puffy, she turns her head away for a moment. Weakened from the shrieking sound of the monster, she wails one last time, peering at her mother. As Jessica turns her head back towards the monster, it ceases torturing her friend. Relieved that the torment is over, Jessica's mother approches the monster and tugs at its lifeless body. A cotton, spring-scented pink checkered blanket tumbles out with warmth from the dryer. Once drenched with tears, Jessica's blonde curls cling to her swollen face, and with out-stretched arms Jessica snatches her blanket, smiles and chuckles "Oh Bubby".


Happy Birthday Love!

3 comments:

  1. That's a great story, Kim!

    Happy birthday Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kimmie-that's so sweet!

    I love that kid, and you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy bday jess
    loads of good wishes for you

    hope u will like my blog
    http://irrefutable-existence.blogspot.com/
    and follow it

    ReplyDelete